Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Kathy aka Bermuda Onion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.









Today I bring you some Spanish lessons courtesy of Dagoberto Gilb in his collection of short stories Before the End, After the Beginning:

Pocha: (slang) a Mexican American female who speaks poor or broken Spanish, and has become a gringa
"has that happy pocha kind of name" (pg. 7).

Suegro: father-in-law
"my son was joe, like my own dad and my suegro both" (pg. 7).

Cholo: mestizo; person of mixed caucasoid and various degrees of Amerindian descent.
"I had an uncle, who was more tattooed cholo, who called himself Memo, and I didn't want that" (pg. 28).


Chichona: well endowed, having large breasts
"She was a chichona woman and it was hard not to know that, especially when she was wearing a bathing suit" (pg. 33).

Caliche: A layer of hard clay subsoil; hardpan
"I pulled over and I got out and started on a caliche horse trail to the creek" (pg. 121).

Vinegaroon: A whip scorpion (Uropygid) that gives off a smell of vinegar when attacked.
"After they hung up all their pretty dresses on a lead pipe that fit across one wall and the other, there was no other space except for the dresser she had to share with her baby sister and the vinegaroons and scorpions and sometimes red ants that crawled up, ignoring the carpet remnant, through the cracks in the squeaky floors" (pg. 129).

*All definitions are from Wiktionary.org.