Monday, January 9, 2012

Short Story Monday: All Mimsy


I decided I would try reading some flash fiction today and found a website called Flash Fiction Online. One of the first stories I came across was "All Mimsy" by Kelly Wright.

The story is largely an experiment in symbolism and description. Mimsy (possibly a reference to Lewis Carrol's "Jabberwocky") enters a room with a sword and appears to be looking for someone. Mimsy is tiny  - not at all intimidating - and yet as the story progresses, it's evident that she has the upper hand against the "cowering room-sized nightmare" that she seeks.

"All Mimsy" is excellently written. I don't think I understand everything that is going on, but the language is beautiful. Take this example:
"A new light entered the room with Mimsy. It came from nowhere, but if an observer were forced to name a source for the glow, one might, with much hesitation and hemming and hawing and a protestation or two, suggest that perhaps the luminescence came from Mimsy’s gaze."
 I'll definitely need to explore more flash fiction to form a true opinion about it. The "story" I read did not seem complete, but rather more like one scene from a longer work.

What do you think about flash fiction? What stories can you recommend to me? If you read "All Mimsy" and have better insight into it than I did, what do you think is going on?

Short Story Monday is hosted by John at The Book Mine Set.