Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Best Books I Read: Poetry Edition

I've decided to participate in a Monthly Poetry Event with Lu and Kelly of Regular Rumination and The Written World, respectively. With this event, I'll be publishing at least one post about poetry a month (more in April for National Poetry Month). Today I'd like to kick things off with a list of five poetry books that I particularly enjoy and/or have shaped my poetry reading in some way.





The Poetry of Robert Frost
Some of the earliest poetry I read, and still some of my favorite.








Treasury of French Love
I love that this book has French poems with the English translation on the facing page. Beautiful!






Alive Together by Lisel Mueller
I discovered this poet in college and absolutely love her style. Last year during National Poetry Month, I did a Poetry Spotlight on her.






A Little Treasury of American Poetry
This book was my self-taught introduction to poetry growing up. Edited by Oscar Williams and published in 1952.







A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
I read these poems now and they seem ridiculous and gross, but back in the day, I loved them.







What poetry books do you enjoy? Who are some of your favorite poets?